Monday, January 14, 2013

More mirror work, new headlight harness

So I worked about 8 hours this weekend and managed to get quite a bit done. My main project was to put in a new headlight harness. This harness takes the strain off the factory wiring by drawing the power for the headlights directly from the battery instead of running it through the car's system. This is more reliable, and noticeably brighter. For 35 bucks off eBay, I think it was a good deal.
At this point I realized that the wiring was not long enough to work, so I extended it with some spare wire.
I had to disassemble everything I did last week with my headlight install, but at least I knew what I was doing. Here is the headlight hanging down before I chopped up the wiring and put in my new stuff.
This is where I put most of my wiring, I found a nice place to attach the relays up in the front. It is out of the way from the hood, and it is also protected from the weather.
Here you can see the wiring running across the front of the car to the other headlight. You can tell what is old and what is new by the color and the dust.
In order to remove my factory mirror I had to remove all the door hardware and the door panel. I was just barely able to snake a socket up inside the door to take off the mirror.
I got a thin sheet of metal from Lowe's and snipped it to the correct size to be a backing plate. It already had holes in it, so I got some twine and used it to hold the plate against the car from the inside as the epoxy dried.  This will give me a solid backing for my thin layer of body filler. I chopped the twine out after the epoxy had mostly hardened.
The last thing I did was grind down the rust on the front marker light with a dremel tool. I plan on fully dealing with it later, but I just wanted to stop it from spreading. After this picture, I gave it a thin coat of primer to protect the bare metal until I can deal with it.

Later on this week (probably Friday) I plan on installing the mirrors and installing my coilovers (which should be coming in the mail this week).

1 comment:

  1. How does it look now, John? It’s actually practical if you buy all the parts that needed to be replaced on your car and just restore them yourself. All you need is the proper knowledge on how to do restorations, which you can get from car enthusiasts and mechanics. I have done major repairs and restorations on my car, and it was quite fun because after all the hard work, you will see and use the fruits of your labor.

    Enoch Ross

    ReplyDelete