Thursday, November 29, 2012

Another afternoon project - valve cover paint

I had another spare afternoon and a need to get something done. My engine valve cover was looking faded and boring, so I decided to give it a coat of heat resistant grill paint. Regular paint would melt off because the engine gets so hot while driving. I decided to use grill paint because it was obviously heat resistant, and it had a nice matte finish to it.
I cleaned the whole valve cover with engine grime remover (powerful stuff!) and dried it off. I then gave it a few coats of paint and let it dry/harden. After that, I took a screw driver and scraped off the paint on the letters and striping, just to give it a cool look. It turned out pretty well.

I also took a few pictures of under the valve cover to document the condition of the engine. Unfortunately, it was a bit grimy and the engine should most likely be rebuilt within the next few years. I had planned on doing that at some point anyways, just not during my senior project as it would be too much work.


No comments:

Post a Comment