Thursday, November 29, 2012

New carpet!

Let me start off by saying this was by far the biggest thing I have done to the car yet. It really turned the car from a old junker into a true classic.

 I started out by ripping all the old carpet out. This was pretty easy on the passenger side because there was almost none there to start.
 The rear deck carpet was basic house carpet, so that came out easily too. The driver side followed similarly.
 Here is a view from the rear showing the bare floor pans. My dad and I decided that we should give the floors a coat of rust-inhibiting paint to prevent any future problems. We then followed that with some basic black paint for a finished look.
 Here are the removed seats, scraps of carpet, center console, and other junk I found in the car.
 A picture in the middle of the progress showed how exploded the car was.
 Here is the installed rear deck carpeting. This was the only carpet that came cut to shape. We secured it down with velcro patches so the hidden spare tire would be easily accessible.
 After many hours, we finally cut the carpet to shape and had successfully hot glued it all in. We were going to use carpet adhesive, but because it had to be applied all at once, we decided against it. Hot glue proved to work rather well.
 During this time, I did some trim touch up with a black sharpie and used some plastic trim restorer compound to give the center console a good sheen.
Here is a view of the rear from the front. There is a trim piece that goes over the tail light assemblies, but I was cleaning it up at the time of the picture.

During this install, I decided to run some speaker wires to the rear deck. I had plans at the time to put in some speakers in boxes on the deck behind the seats. Pictures of that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment